The things we do for lifts

To: "'shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The things we do for lifts
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:26:54 -0700
Just thought I'd post this in case any of you wants to show your spouse that
there's someone out there crazier than you are.

So I've decided on a Rotary 2 post above ground lift, since they seem to
have a good reputation, I've gotten to see them in action, a friend has one,
and their installed price is just slightly more than it would cost me to
mail order a hoist, rent a forklift to get it off the truck, rent a rotary
hammer to drill for the anchor bolts, etc.

The problem is, the hoist I've chosen needs a 12' celing, and my shop has
just 10' 6" to the bottoms of the ceiling joists.  Simple -- I'll just
remove the drywall between one pair of joists, which are 24" on centers, and
I'll have enough room for the hoist between the joists.  The only trouble
with that plan is that I want the hoist over to the side of the garage so
it's lined up with one of the doors.  The roof is plenty high in the middle,
but for about the first 4' (it's a 4:12 pitch roof) from the wall, the
inside of the roof sheathing isn't 12' high.

Here's the crazy part -- I decided what I needed was a small dormer.  So
Saturday I built something that looked a lot like a dog house in my shop,
then Sunday I cut a hole in my roof and dropped the dog house into it.  A
little roofing felt, some flashing, roofing cement, and shingles and voila
-- plenty of celing height all the way to the edge of the shop.  Thanks to
an abnormally dry streak in Seattle, I haven't gotten to find out yet if it
leaks.  This was my first roofing project, but I did it just like I've seen
Dean & Robin (and Norm) do it, so it at least looks good.

When the hoist is actually installed I'll make sure to let everyone know how
I like it.

keithka