Re: MO SHOP FANS

To: jniolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: MO SHOP FANS
From: Miq Millman <miq@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:15:26 -0700 (PDT)
jniolon@uss.com says:

>      My Grainger catalog (#389) shows a few supply/exhaust fans 36" blade
>      in frames ranging from 39 to 42 inches...but the bad news...prices
>      range from $ 400-500.  might be in your range...a little pricey for
>      me.

I put one of these in my shop last year.  36", dual cycle, auto-louvers,
claimed throughput of 3500 cfm.  It was $380 with a contractor's discount
at Grainger.  I hooked it up with a rheostat switch on the wall so I can
vary the speed.  At full blast it will suck the front door open from 80
feet away if its not latched, even with one of the garage doors open.

I use an air furnace filter infront of it, but the motor casing is sealed
and safe for paint environments.

I figured that prevention of a fire was worth the extra $150 at the time
for a sealed motor.

One more thing, the fan is really loud at full bore.  When I have the doors
to the clean area shut and the filter in the window for inlet, it whistles
like a banshee.  Be prepared with earplugs.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com