Re: Sand Blasters

To: "Roland Wilhelmy" <rwil@cts.com>
Subject: Re: Sand Blasters
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:15:32 -0500
Roland speculated:

Around Southern Calif, so far as I have found, sand
blasting like that would run closer to $30 per item, rather than per
truckload -- maybe $15 each if you dicker.  Plastic media blasting
costs more.

Roland,  I suggest you check into that  . . . Don't ASK how much for one
item . . .
you're getting into their minimum charge "mindset".  Ask their hourly and
minimum charges . . . then gather up enough parts (and friends parts) to
make it worthwhile.
At the rates you mention, my batch of parts would have cost about $900 per
hour!
If I thought they can charge that much,  I'd put in about 30 "Blasting R US"
businesses  in California next week!
Tony
.

:I recently had a pickup load of material blasted (eleven wheels and 20
items
:of drive train and suspension parts.   Took 30 minutes and cost $30.    It
:would have taken two days of miserable work to do with my little blaster
and
:a 3 hp compressor.
:
:Tony