Re: Painting fans?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting fans?
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:15:16 -0400
At 03:40 AM 8/28/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>I just finished putting up a half-assed plastic spray
>area inside my garage. All sources seem to point to having
>an exhaust fan blowing in for painting, but how would
>I go about setting this up in a normal garage? I don't
>exactly want to spent a lot of time installing a fan
>and cutting the vinyl siding just for this.
>
>  Ideas?

I have never seen a paint booth with a fan pushing air in.
This would be the wrong way to do it for many reasons.
They don't call it an exhaust fan for nothing !  Sucking air out
is much more efficient than the other way round.  It is also much
better to have air enter all over the place instead of coming in by
force through a fan as this minimizes the amount of dust blowing
around (and depositing on your newly painted surface)
Ideally what you want is a large (very large) filtered opening for
input air (this minimizes the air turbulence and dust) with an
exhaust fan on the other side of the painting space to remove
all the paint particulate matter that is suspended in the air.

Regards  Nils
Yardley,  PA
59(100-6)  69XKE  72/73MGB  52MGTD