Re:Paint Booth. etc

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re:Paint Booth. etc
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 09:24:00 +0000
Trevor Boicey wrote:
>   Will do. Can you remember a keyword or two that will
> help me find it?

Sorry, I wasn't as helpful as I could be.  Go to:
http://www.autobodystore.com/
then go to "classroom" then to "projects".

snip
>   I worry, because I've already been to a few body shop supply stores
> asking for "non-isocyanate clears" and they just have no idea what
> I am talking about. That's scary, because if I didn't think to
> ask they wouldn't think to tell me.
snip
Iso-free clears are produced, but whether or not your local supplier carries
them
will depend on the local demand.  If the local professionals are not asking for
it I
doubt it will be stocked and we hobbyists are out of luck.
>   Does lacquer come in clear?

Yes it does; I have never sprayed it.  One of the benefits of lacquer is that
it is
relatively easy to color sand and buff, lessening the benefit of a clear coat
(if
you are willing to periodically buff the paint).  Clear lacquer is reportedly
the
most brittle lacquer color, most likely to develop hairline cracks.

>   One problem I may have with lacquer is that the car I am painting
> currently has semi-fresh enamel on it. I have heard this is a hard
> combination,
> because the lacquer will peel the enamel.

Ask you local supplier,they can be a fountain of knowledge, or they may put you
in
touch with the technical rep from one of the paint companies.  I think that
this
concern falls into a gray area.  I have painted lacquer over enamel and it did
not
lift, but I have also heard that the solvents in lacquer can lift old paint.
In my
case the enamel was quite old, "semi-fresh enamel" may be a different case.

-Roger