Re: Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ingersoll-Rand impact wrenches
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:44:44 -0500
RodPolentz@aol.com wrote:
> I just received the HF Half Price catalog the other day and it shows the 2131
> for $179.99 on page 23 with free shipping.  Are the torque and speed of the
> 2131 adjustable with a knob or just by the trigger?

Anything in HF over $50 is free shipping.  That's why I always make
sure my orders are more than $50... not too difficult!

As for torque and speed, there are two adjustments.  There is a knob
in the back which adjusts the forward speed and torque, but the lowest
setting is too high for putting wheels back on.  The trigger is also a
decent throttle, and I don't think I've given it "full throttle" too
often.

> I vote for the 4-1/2 lb model 2131 over the 10 lb model 255.  My wrists won't
> handle a 10 lb gun single handed.

The 2131 is nice and light and massively powerful.  I'm really happy I
got it.

> Anyone have experience with the IR model 107 3/8" heavy duty air ratchet?  HF
> has it for $75.99.

I am about to buy an air ratchet, and I'm leaning towards the CP
ratchet for $49.99:

        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/DisplayItem.taf?ItemNumber=34968

I like the bigger high-torque ratchets, sure, but you can break the
bolt loose by hand and then buzz it off.  I don't believe ultimate
torque is as necessary on the hand ratchets.

(If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know!)

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@kns.com

UNIX is user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are!