Safety Chains Was: Build it yourself Car Trailer

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety Chains Was: Build it yourself Car Trailer
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:23:55 -0800
"Richard Boyce" <rboyce90@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I sent some pictures to Inch and he was kind enough to post them on his
> site. His site address is http://megageek.com.  Look under library to see the
> pics.

Very nice trailer.  I wish mine was that good.

I noticed in the first picture that the safety chains were connected "straight"
between
the trailer and the hitch.  I had a very wise man teach me to cross the chain -
i.e. the
chain from the right side of the trailer connects to the left side of the
truck's hitch, and
the left to the right.  The idea is that the chains can be "tighter" (you don't
have to leave
as much slack to allow for the turning angle between the truck and trailer),
and most
importantly, the chains "catch" the trailer's tongue should the hitch break.
Basically,
the "X" the chains make under the tongue will keep the tongue from hitting the
ground
(and digging in and maybe flipping) because the chain supports the tongue and
you can
keep control of the whole rig.

Any body else use this technique?  I know it works for me, and my chains never
bind,
and they also never drag on the ground...

Tim Mullen