Welding a motorcycle exhaust pipe

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding a motorcycle exhaust pipe
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:16:26 -0800
Hi all,

I need to weld up a crack and small hole in the
megaphone/"muffler" of my BSA B50's exhaust.  It is thin-wall
steel and chromed.  After welding, I will need to grind it down
and have it rechromed.

After taking a welding class, and after spending quite a bit of
additional time welding, I am a reasonably competent welder, so I
thought I would repair the crack myself.

I have an oxy-acetylene welder, and wonder if there are any tips
you might have for doing this work (e.g., braze or weld, what
type of rod, should I use a MIG instead, etc.). I have a good
range of small tips (000, 00, 0), and thought about using the 000
with to braze it.

This megaphone is from CCM circa 1972, and is not replaceable, so
I don't want to ruin it in the process of trying to fix it.  :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

doug

///