Re: Doing it yourself (was RE: painted shop floors)

To: keithka@microsoft.com, sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: Doing it yourself (was RE: painted shop floors)
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:28:27 -0800 (PST)
> ...and we could all pay other people to fix our cars for us, so we
> wouldn't need the shops we talk about.  I think most of us on this list
> have some of the "I'd rather do it myself" attitude.  If it's a job I
> know I've done before, then I know I can do it again.  If I haven't done
> it before, I'm usually interested in learning, and heck, maybe I can
> justify buying some more tools.

All true - which is why I did it myself the first time. I wanted
to point out that it's about as subtle a job as doing good body
work and shooting paint .. with as much opportunity for having
it go wrong.

There are jobs that I know I can do myself because I have, and I don't
do any more because it isn't worth it: porting and polishing cylinder
heads comes to mind, and painting concrete floors is a close second.
Even though I've found someone to do my floors, I haven't found someone
I really trust to do cylinder heads. I hate paying for body and
paint work, but I hate even more looking at a lousy job with no one
to blame but my own cheapness!