Re: was Tornado, now K&N

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: was Tornado, now K&N
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:53:28 -0600
At 05:04 PM 3/25/2002 -0800, Susan and Mark Miller wrote:

> > There is controversy over K&N air filters.  I like mine, but I have read
> > reviews that they are not good for the engine, and regular replacement of
> > paper filters is a better choice.  I don't know if that is for engine
> > longevity or power.  My experience with K&N is that it allows more air
> thru.
> > The mixture is richened by the computer because there is more air, so
> you get
> > more power.  I guess you have to manually make a mixture change to
> carbureted
> > engines.  So the K&N gives you more power, but uses more gas to get that
> > power.
>
>What I have read about the K & N's are that they allow quite a bit more
>grit to
>enter the engine.  More airflow, but worse engine wear.  YMMV.
>
>Mark Miller

I am a firm believer in K & N.

In 1988 I bought a new 5.0L Mustang, K & N filter added at 8K miles.  Drove
it 6 yrs and 131K miles.  In 1992 I bought a new Ford F-150 w 302.  Added a
K & N @ 3K miles.  Drove it for over 9 yrs and 209K miles.  No problems
with either one ever letting any dirt past.  And I did check the intake
tubes every time I cleaned them.  Never in dirt/grit in the tubes.  Both
still ran well, didnt use any oil and had good compression.   I still see
the truck a couple times per week and it appears to be running well.

I sold the F-150 in November and bought and F-350 with the 7.3L turbo
diesel.  But a K & N in @ 2000 miles.  Checked it this weekend.  No dirt in
the tube.  Both trucks and the Mustang used the flat panel type.

Do I believe they make any more power vs a paper filter?  Maybe a little
seat-of-the-pants feel in the Mustang with it's higher rpms.  In the trucks
they don't have any noticeable increase.  The reason  is
economic.  The  paper filter for my F-350 costs over $20.  I paid $39 for
the K & N.  Two cleanings and it's paid for.

BTW, I also run  a round one on my drag car.  No problems with it either.

Later,

David Cole