RE: electric motors (free for a good home and a questions)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: RE: electric motors (free for a good home and a questions)
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:51:20 -0500
The forklift is a great eBay item! Before I found mine, I had checked all the
local outlets, nothing a few things, but nothing too practical. I did find a
3000# Yale cheap, but it had an Continental industrial engine and parts are
expensive. Also found a big Nissan/Datsun 6000# forklift, used a standard
510-type engine. But, it had a bad axle assembly, and (basically) no parts
availability). Bunch of dead-ends that way.

So, I happened to check eBay. Found quick a few, learned that electricity can
be a bad choice. The "E" forklifts are often quite cheap (<$1000, even <$500),
but when the batteries go, it is TOTALLY useless, all it is either project
material or scrap because replacement (even used) batteries cost so much.

Also discovered that some forklifts use standard engines. Best parts
availability is for US brands still in business, it seems. That means Yale and
Hyster, some Cats. Look for one with a standard engine, Chev is ideal (cheap
and easy to repair). Best choice (overall) is a pneumatic 5000# or greater
lift. Expect it to be LPG, but you can always convert to gasoline later.

Here are a few examples from eBay (none are perfect in all ways):
TCM Pneumatic LP Forklift Like Hyster Clark  Item # 1775962279
1989 Manitou Fork Lift Item # 1867162657 (this one is VERY attractive!)
Forklift-ClarkC300-50  Item # 1775918990 (very nice machine, but it is in
Michigan)
Forklift-ClarkC20P Item # 1775918793 ($750, but only 2000#)
8000lbs Clark forklift Item # 1774258654 (late model, 8000# (!!), but it is
electric)
Forklift, 8000LB cushions, 5 for 1 price!!!  Item # 1776157447  (it has a
"Reserve price", but there are 5 units for 1 price)

You get the idea. Check it out.

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX