Re: On the subject of oil disasters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: On the subject of oil disasters
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:46:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/02 10:39:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric@megageek.com writes:

> I've had good success with most kitty litters and speedi dry.  I've got a
> bunch of "haz-mat mats" from when i was in the Army.  They are huge mats
> (about 3' X 4') that soak up really well.
>
> What every product I use, I find that I get way better results if I spread
> on the 'litter', then grid it in with my foot, then sweep.

- - - - - - - - - -

I agree.  Kitty litter works well.  (Or oil-dry, which is the same as kitty
litter, but maybe doesn't have the same deoderizers.)  You can still buy
haz-mats, but they are better to place under a leak if the car is parked
somewhere temporarily and you want to protect the floor.  They don't work as
well for cleaning up a spill.

Even if you clean it up, dirty oil will still stain a concrete garage floor,
so it's better to catch the spill before it hits the surface.  You can buy
used baker's sheet pans (18" X 22") fill them half way with kitty litter and
put one under the car.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget