Re: AOL blocking team.net?

To: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: AOL blocking team.net?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:37:26 -0700
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:51:51PM -0400, Gordie's Garage wrote:

> When Ameritech blocked team.net mail, I was told that the ip address from
> team.net was in a "range that was sending spam".  Not sure what that all
> means, but it was what I was told.

team.net's IP address isn't on any published spam blackhole list
I can find.  Ameritech must have put them on their own.

I'm conflicted about spam blacklists--- on one hand my domain
would be useless without my own blacklist.  We'd be
overrun with spam to the point that our network
would be clogged.  On the other hand, as a list
administrator, when I receive bounce messages
from list subscriber's ISPs wrongly rejecting list
traffic as "spam", I usually unsubscribe those people.

Any spam blacklist that doesn't have an easy way for
non-spammers to get off it is broken.  Mine does, but
I have run into few others that do.  And of course
it's not reasonable to ask a list admin to do something
to allow each subscriber to get list mails.
So a per-user 'whitelist' should also be implemented.
But no ISP does that.

Eric