Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:01:18 -0500
Please excuse this question if it is a bit off topic but  I figure this is
the best place to get an answer that I can understand.
What effect do the number of splines  have on the performance of a shaft?
The project I am working on has a shaft with splines on each end, The shafts
fit into sleeves to transfer the turning motion. The One end of the shaft
has 10 splines ( 1.25 inches dia while the other end has 15 splines on a
1.06 dia. Since the load is the same on both ends of the shaft I was
wondering why they did not use the same splines on both ends .

Okay your thinking what is he talking about . Well on my Morgan (Plus 4 )
the transmission is located about thirty inches behind the flywheel, An
intermediate shaft is used between the clutch and the transmission input
shaft with a muff coupler joining the transmission input shaft and the
intermediate shaft. The clutch end of the intermediate shaft acts just as a
transmission input shaft on a normal setup. The clutch end has the same
splines as you would find on a transmission input shaft., ten. But the
transmission end of the intermediate shaft ( the muff coupler and the
transmission input shaft)  have 15 splines . It seems to me that they would
have saved time and trouble ( as well as not have to use a 'special'
transmission input shaft ) by simply using the same splines on each end.

This same question applies to wire wheels. While the axle may  have 10
splines why do the put all those fine splines on the wheel? Why not use
wider cut splines ? What's the advantage of having more splines ?

As always thanks for the education

Bob Nogueira