RE: kerosene heater

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: kerosene heater
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:20:43 -0800
> I know without specifics this is far too general, I'm asking more if
> anybody here runs a kerosene space heater in an enclosed shop,
> how far away
> from flammables you keep it, and have you nearly killed yourself yet?

Scott, I even heated my house with one for a short time, never had a
problem.  You do need to pay attention to the flame, don't try to turn it up
too high or it will stink.  "Deodorized" kerosene is also a good idea.  They
don't put out a great deal of heat for their size, and most of it is carried
upwards by convection, so I'd say it would be fairly safe just 2-3' away
from wood.  Use common sense tho, check the surface after a few hours of
operation and if it's too hot to keep your hand on, move the heater.

We did run a CO detector, it never turned dark.  Oh, and the house was a
1920's "beach bungalow", it leaked air pretty bad, so no worries about O2
depletion.  If your shop is airtight, you might have more of a problem.  At
least in CA, it's no longer legal to sell unvented heaters for use in a home
(which means very few places sell them at all anymore).

The only unvented heater I ever had a problem with was a "smudge pot" aka
"salamander" like used to be used to keep orchards from freezing.  Had it
running full bore in a 3-car garage, first the heat melted a turn signal
lens on my 1970 Audi, then I got a splitting headache.  Shut it down, went
in the house, felt fine the next day.

Randall