Blackening stainless steel parts?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Blackening stainless steel parts?
From: Chris Heerschap <shoptalk@db94.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:16:11 -0500
I've got a quick question.  Does anyone know a fairly easy way to
blacken stainless steel parts?  Eastwood has a kit that does exactly
what I want, but only to steel parts, not stainless.  I'd rather not use
paint due to its thickness and the fact that it might chip off.

Can stainless steel be anodized?  Are there other methods which can be
done by the average Joe (or Chris) in his shop without too much investment?

Thanks!

cmh