RE: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Disk brake problem - long and boring !!
From: <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:56:15 -0500
Steven Trovato [mailto:strovato@optonline.net] wrote:

> Check out this article:
>
> http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

I've seen the article.  However, I have in fact had warped rotors,
that the article says can't happen.  The sides same thickness all
around, but the sides were not parallel - they were so badly warped
that it would push the pads back enough that I'd have to pump them
a couple of time to get the fronts to work.

Replaced the rotors about every 20,000 miles.

One likely cause of warping is braking too hard.  Coming to
hard to a stop (heating up the rotors) and holding on the brakes.
This can prevent the heat from "getting away" under the pads, and
cause uneven cooling (and then warping).  I try to stop such that
I can let off the brakes a lot as I am almost stopping so that
things can cool off more evenly.  It helps, but only some - I still
tend to brake to hard at stops...

You might be using "too good" of pads, that don't conduct the
heat away and are creating local hot spots that could lead to
warping, or to deposits as talked about in the above article...

Tim Mullen