One last thing about blasting cabinets and safety

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: One last thing about blasting cabinets and safety
From: "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:41:47 -0400
We had a long and roaring discussion about sand blasting and its dangers.  My
question is the following.

I have a blasting cabinet that that has two openings.  One in back for safety
and a second 1 1/2" exhaust opening.  The exhaust opening is plumbed to a 5
gallon bucket that I use as a water filter (imagine a 5 gallon bong with 2.5
gallons of water).  The air is then drawn out of the top of the bucket with a
small shop vacuum.  That is my exhaust and filter setup.

I am blasting with either glass bead, ground glass or aluminum oxide.  What
are the range of safety issues that I face?  I am just trying to get an idea
of any potential problems.  Thanks in advance.

--
Bill Gilroy

"life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting " holy sh*t...what
a ride!"