dumb electricity question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: dumb electricity question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:11:43 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, I've gotta dumb electricity question...

I'm going to need to rewire the attached garage.  I'm going to be adding a
decent number of new circuits:

* nearside wall outlets
* rear wall outlets
* farside wall outlets
* hot tub (outside) and maybe back outside light
* light circuit with a number (10?) of florecent lights
* light circuit with two incandecent lights & a few ceiling outlets
* front outside lights (and maybe garage opener?)
* dedicated 220 line for compressor
* 220 line with four outlets
* some kinda line to power a hot dawg or similer overhead heater.

I've got a 200 Amp panel that seems to have plenty of room for breakers...

A couple questions though.

#1, whats up with installing new breakers?  I've not had to do that
before... Do they just snap/screw in?  Presumably the panel should be off
prior to this?

#2, on the 220 line, if I use dryer receptacles (50A, from memory, I'll
check), wire rated at 50A+, all into a 50A breaker, that's ok in terms of
normal electrical code, right?  Sure, you could plug four 50A items into
each of the four outlets and blow the fuse, but as long as I've got
wiring/outlets that can handle what the breaker allows, I'm ok no matter
the actual number of outlets on the circuit, correct?

Any other "rules of thumb" or things to pay attention to when re-wiring
the shop?  There are no interior walls/ceilings/insulation right now, so I
can pretty much get wire wherever I need too...

Oh!  What's the best cost solution on surface mount or hanging overhead
lights?  Cheaper is better.  Flickering lights kinda stink.  8' bulbs are
ok, but so are 4' bulbs.  More light is way better than less light.

Thanks!

Mark