Re: Ballast Question

To: "Rush" <jdrush@enter.net>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ballast Question
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:31:12 -0700
> The second problem I have, is that we are in perpetual brownout during
> the Air Conditioning season and some of my fixtures won't light at all.
> I'm assuming it is the same problem (not enough voltage to sustain
> fluorescence) manifesting itself in a different way. Does anyone else
> have this problem and will a "cold weather ballast" solve it?

Have you considered a step up autotransformer for the lighting?  You can get
them at McMaster Carr and oodles of other places.  Wire one up to add 5% or
10% to your line voltage and it should put you back in business.  Note that
it could cause some things to burn out when you aren't being 'browned', so
be careful what you put downstream of it.

They are inexpensive.

Mark.