Re: 8pt sockets

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: 8pt sockets
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:19:29 -0500
On Aug 31, 2004, at 9:18 AM, Mark Andy wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Randall wrote:
>> When I went looking, I bought one of every size 8pt they had in stock.
>
> What the heck uses 8pt sockets?

Square things.  Brake adjusters and drain plugs are about the only
things I see on a regular basis.  If you work on really old stuff, they
turn up, as bolts used to be commonly made from bar stock, instead of
hex.  They also get used on machine screws a lot.  I think that's
because it's easier to make a part that will keep a square bolt head or
nut from turning than it is a hex one.