RE: quick generator help?

To: "Scott Hall" <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: quick generator help?
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:54:29 -0700
The "rule of thumb" to convert from Tons of AC to KW is tons X 3.516 = 12.3
Kw (in this case). None of the generators you mentioned are going to carry
the running current of the AC, to say nothing of the inrush to start the
compressor, that would probably require closer to a 30 Kw, maybe 50 Kw
generator!

Generators are a very finite current source so if the load requires a lot of
current to start i.e.; AC or refrigerator compressor motor, it is likely to
trip off on overload, even starting the well pump may need to have more
"head room" in order to get the pump motor started. the inrush of a motor is
the "Locked Rotor Amps" (LRA) and that is typically 5 to 9 times the motors
running current.

Good luck,

Jim