RE: underground house electrical supply?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: underground house electrical supply?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:43:56 -0700
> can
> I not run a trench, run the wire through the trench, and let an
> electrician
> hook it up.  all I'm going to do is dig, lay conduit, and run the wire
> through.  I'll let someone *else* hook it to the pole and the house.
>
> the only obstacle I can think of (providing the utility just doesn't
> recommend, but doesn't prohibit) is that about two thirds of the run from
> the street to the house is, uh, "high-tension" wire (?).  i.e., it's an
> unsheathed wire that terminates at a pole in my front yard with a gray
> cylinder (I assume that's a transformer).  it then runs over my
> yard with a
> thick(er) black-sheathed wire about 75 feet to the house.  can
> all this run
> underground?  if not, why not?

It can all be underground, but the transformer requires a fair amount of
consideration including dryness, ventilation (they do get hot) and access.
You may find it preferable/easier to install it aboveground somewhere (with
suitable protection against unauthorized access, weather, etc).

Oh, and be sure to use wire rated for the your usage.  The "high tension"
stuff (probably 4kv) will no doubt require special wire and possibly special
conduit.

I would definitely consult with an electrician, including getting agreement
from him to inspect and sign off on your work, before spending any money on
it.

Randall