Re: Chain Saw Recommendations

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chain Saw Recommendations
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:42:31 -0800
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:56:56PM -0500, Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent chain saw that is capable
> of downing a good sized tree?

Stihl.
I used to like Homelites but they cheaped out.

> The tree is in my front yard, overhanging the driveway.  I had a look at it
> today and quite a few of the larger upper branches are split and rotting,
> not to mention that the roots of this tree are destroying my driveway.  I
> rather like the tree, but it has to come down simply because I would rather
> remove it myself than have mother nature decide that it should fall right on
> one of my cars this summer.
>
> Most of the tree limbs, excluding the main trunk, are 8-10 inches in
> diameter.  Can I get through this project with a 16" or 18" gas chain saw,

Oh yea.
If you know what you are doing you can take down a 32" tree with a 16" bar.

> or is something bigger called for?  I figure I can always make two or more
> cuts to get through the trunk.
>
> Any particular brands to go with or stay away from?  It just has to get me
> through this tree and it probably will see only limited use then for the
> upcoming years.  In the past I have managed to trim my tree with a
> reciprocating saw, so I really have no need for a chain saw other than this
> particular instance.

Felling trees is an art that requires a lot of practice to get good at.
It's kind of dangerous too.    Trees can fall differently than
you think, you can cut wrong and have the butt jump backwards, pinch
the saw in the cut, etc.

Chainsaws are really dangerous.  I worked in the forest service for a
number of years, and I knew one guy there who only had 9 toes.  He lost
the other to a chainsaw, and was very lucky at that.  I wouldn't dream of
cutting anything without a set of saw chaps on.  They stop the saw from
lopping your leg off.  I'm very careful but I've cut down a lot of trees
and I've landed on my ass with a running saw in my lap more than once.

For one tree, it'd be cheaper and safer to hire the work done.
Its only worth buying a saw if you have a lot of trees
to cut down or a lot of firewood to cut.  And hopefully someone
safe and experienced to show you the ropes.

Eric