Code Scanners

Subject: Code Scanners
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:10:15 -0400
Ok, I know this question gets asked every now and then, but this is an
area that is constantly growing.

I'm looking for a code reader for vehicles.  I would prefer one that...

Does as many vehicle types as possible (but Ford, Jeep, and Chevy as a
Hooks up to a laptop that allows readers while the car is being driven.
Allows me to reset idiot lights.
Preferable USB connection.

Does such a best exist?  Who makes it?  I would be willing to spend some
pretty good cash (hopefully <$500) on this.

"Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war,
         for a lead role in a cage?"  R Waters.