RE: Whole house water shutoff valve

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Whole house water shutoff valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:04:40 -0700
> If you decide to replace the main shutoff yourself, I know you
> can get the tool to turn off the water at the street at HD, etc.

Or, depending on how well stocked your tool chest is, you may be able to rig
something to turn it, like maybe a crowfoot wrench on a long extension.  My main
shutoff is close enough to the surface that I can turn it with a big adjustable
wrench, by using a big screwdriver as a tommy bar.  But of course it will be
deeper in colder climates.

> There are two shutoffs where the water comes in the house, one before
> and after the water meter.  Both look old and untouched, for at least
> as long as I've been there (4 years).

Probably depends on local ordinances, but the valve before the meter may belong
to your water supplier.  If so, they should be responsible for maintaining it,
and should be willing to come out and shut it off at your request.  Might take
them a few days, though.

If the valve has a packing nut (gate or globe valve), sometimes you can free
them up by loosening the nut.  It might spray some water, but as long as you
don't take the nut all the way off the threads, it should be OK.

Randall