Ground contact tool maintenance

Subject: Ground contact tool maintenance
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:52:01 -0700
How are you guys caring for you ground contact tools (shovels, hoes, picks
etc)?

Mine are always rusting up here in the great pacific northwet.

I've heard people talk about using a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand and used
motor oil to dip the tool in? I guess the theory is the sand provides the
abrasive for cleaning and the oil provides the protection from rusting. Does
this method really work? If you use this method after each tool use doesn't it
end up creating a mess on the shed floor under where the shovel is hung for
storage?? The other issue I don't understand with this method is it would only
seem to work for some tools such as shovels. I've got pick axes, rakes etc
that will not fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

So, what do you guys do for maintenance and care of your ground contact tools,
if anything?

Thanks
Wayne