RE: waste antifreeze

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: waste antifreeze
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:09:25 -0500
At 04:01 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:
>Ethylene glycol biodegrades rapidly in the environment ... in fact, it's worst
>effect is that it degrades so rapidly it can potentially take enough
>oxygen out
>of the water to suffocate fish !  It's also not particularly poisonous when
>heavily diluted (healthy human kidneys will remove it), kind of like grain

I don't buy that!  From what I know the bodily "failure mode" from
ethylene glycol ingestion in mammals is kidney failure caused by the
stuff crystalizing in the kidneys and impairing their function.

[[taking break to research @ Wikipedia]]
"as little as 30 milliliters (2 tablespoons) can be lethal to adults "  in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

But, yeah, I've dumped it down the toilet when I've been at places
with municipal sewage treatment.  It's water soluble, and I don't
feel bad about 2 gallons in a few million a day.  I won't dump it in
my current septic system, but the local landfill has a recycling
section that take it and motor oil

   -Wayne