RE: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:19:10 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

So, went and looked at a bunch of table saws today...

So far the Ryobi BTS20R is in the lead.

I was all set to love the Rigid TS3650 Contractor saw... But that thing is
just _so_ big. The table has got to be four feet wide.  The castor system
is also pretty crappy... Its an interesting design for easily retractable
casters, but they just don't have enough travel.  Even on a totally smooth
floor the feet would drag with the casters extended.  When you set the
feet to not drag, they wouldn't touch down with the casters retracted.
The saw itself felt just great though and if I wasn't space/mobility
limited it seems like a good buy.

I didn't get to check out the Bosch portable, but did look at the Rigid
TS2400 and Craftsman Professional portable along with the Ryobi.  The
Rigid and Craftsman both felt nice, but both have less capacity than the
Ryobi for over twice the price.  Build quality is probably a little
better, but the fence and controls on the Ryobi felt good and its less
than half the money.  Two year warranty as well, plus HD has a 30 day
money back guarantee.

So that's the way it looks like I'll go.  Thanks everyone for the advice,
etc!

Mark