Re: garage door opener advice

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: garage door opener advice
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:05:57 -0800
At 06:10 PM 2/9/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Steve asks...
>
> >Anyone have an opener that's been trouble free for say...10 years?
> >Or is that too much to expect?

Thank you for your replies, from this and previous discussions I'm
leaning towards a Genie.

>I don't think I have ever seen one with an electrical problem.  Have you
>checked the wiring to your GDO?  I think you may have a bad neutral,
>missing ground, or something weird like that if you are burning up boards.

I'll have to admit, it is my first opener, and my second installation of a
200 amp service, but everything was new and up to code.  When the
opener quit, I went through the troubleshooting guide, and it said to
replace the board which costs about 30 bucks less than a new opener.

I think the board got fried by a power surge which I think is a known
problem with Stanley.  I think you need to have a surge suppressor as
one lister pointed out.

It's not that hard to open a garage door by hand.  If the opener isn't
trouble free,
I don't want one.  It's been about ten years, I was just thinking about
emptying
out the garage and straightening the various messes I've made over the years.
I think I'll look at the Genies.

Thanks again, this list continues to impress.
Steve Shipley