Re: [Shop-talk] Converting a lamp from U.S. to European voltage

To: <schauss@worldnet.att.net>,<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Converting a lamp from U.S. to European voltage
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:31:58 -0400
At 10:17 PM 6/27/2007, Peter Schauss wrote:
>We recently sent some furniture to my daughter who lives in
>Helsinki.  I converted some floor and table lamps for her by
>removing the U.S. plug and replacing it with a pin style plug which
>matches the outlets in her apartment.  I reasoned that since the
>amperage at 220 volts for a given size bulb is half of what it is at
>110 volts there would be no reason to replace

My understanding has been the current is more demanding of
conductors, switches, etc than voltage.  So doubling the voltage &
halving the current should be ok.  But you really need to go with
code over there.  Wouldn't wanna burn down the flat for one lamp, eh?

But shipping furniture & lamps clear across the pond?  Wouldn't it be
easier to give her some funds and send her to the local Ikea or whatever?

   -WC