Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Socket holders
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:40:14 -0700
> Now all this talk about socket sets, I guess the next
> question is how many socket sets does every one have?

I'm not even sure how to count "sets" any more.  Does one of those
combination things with some metric and some SAE, some deep and some
shallow, some 1/4, some 3/8, some 1/2 count as only one set, or 2x2x3 = 12
sets ?  Think I've got 4 or 5 of those, bought for various reasons.

Then the rollaway has a collection in each of those; plus 4 impact sets
(deep/shallow times SAE/metric); plus a Whitworth set with some 1/4" and
some 3/8".

The travelling tool box has a set of 3/8" SAE plus 3/8" Whitworth; and there
are two more Whitworth sets on the shelf that I bought when I thought the
travelling box had been stolen. (Turned out I'd hidden it then forgotten
where I hid it <G>)

Then there are the various individual sockets, like wobble sockets and
8-point sockets; most recent aquisition was a 3/8" drive, 5/16" 8-point for
those pesky taper pins in Triumph shift forks.  Not to mention sockets I've
customized, like the pin-drive for the nut inside a Stag OD shift knob, or
TR3 switch escutcheons.

FWIW, I don't bother with holders unless the sockets happen to come in a
case I like.  The rollaway has a separate drawer for each drive & standard;
and I just line the sockets up by type and size within each drawer.
Someday, if I'm really, really bored, I might add partitions to hold them

Randall