Re: [Shop-talk] weakening a spring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] weakening a spring
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:17:57 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Ron Horwitz wrote:
> Have a project that requires something like a clothespin to hold two
> delicate pieces of fabric together.  I'd like to weaken the spring on
> the clothespin a bit.  I know that I can just force the jaws open for a
> couple of days and that will help some.  I can disassemble and bend the
> spring a bit, but that seems to be fairly irreproducible, and I need
> four that are fairly similar in clamp strength.  Will heat lower the
> spring constant?  Do I heat with the jaws closed or open?  Any other
> thoughts?

I can't imagine that clothespin springs are all that uniform from the
factory... Why not just make a spring force meter (two pieces of something
with a pivot like a scissors, with a spring on one end and the clothes pin
clamping the other, measure the distance) and work on each one via bending
until you get four you like?

Mark