Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:40:27 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Battmain wrote:
> I have an '01 GMC 4x4 that I use to tow the race car. It's the design of
> the system. I can create the issue at will at a local toll booth. I am
> _not_ hard on the brake. Barely even 25% when the the tires hit the lip
> of the cement patch for the toll booth. Speed 5-10mph. It feels as if I
> released the brakes.  Keeping the same brake pedal makes the problem
> worse as I've found. If there are no bumps, it works like it is supposed
> to. Obviously pressing harder makes it even worse. :) The work around
> for me is to let up off the pedal when I go over the bump.

Sounds like some version of ice mode... I ran into this a lot with a 2001
z06 in autocross... Brake for a corner one time, they work fine.  Next
time, the pedal pushes back and braking power is dramatically reduced.

Only fix, without changing parts, is to come off the pedal and out of the
abs, then back in again.

A regular driver isn't going to beat good abs.  A regular driver may very
well be able to beat crap abs.  Crap abs won't cause an accident unless
you're already doing something wrong (IMHO).

Mark