[Shop-talk] Replacing Porch Columns

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing Porch Columns
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:50:09 -0500
Hey gang,

I'm trying to replace the old wooden columns on my front porch with some
new vinyl
ones, and need some help.  Anyone done any siding?  I've had the soffett
(sp) and
facia wrapped with aluminumn when I had the clapboard covered with siding
(years ago).

I hope I've got all the names right, but the spelling is probably wrong.
What I'm
calling the facia, is the vertical front towards the yard, because it is
"facing - ya".
The soffett is the covering of the over hang and faces streight down.

The beam, or what ever is at the outter edge of the roof line, and runs the
length
of the porch, had some wood coming down both sides so as to form a pocket
around the
beam.  The top of the column then sits in this pocket.   Similar  to this
ascii art:

house          base of beam        towards front yard
           |-----------------|
           |                 |
           |   |        |    |
               | column |
                going down
               to floor of
               porch

I have put some pictures of the siding, soffet & facia up:

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/PorchBeamWrap-1.jpg - shows where
I've pryed up
    a section of the facia cover.  The white square is the original wood.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/PorchBeamWrap-2.jpg - shows where
I've managed
    to pry down the bottom "L" covering the bottom of the beam.  The white
thing on
    the right is the top of a column.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/PorchBeamWrap-3.jpg - pretty much
the same as
    the picture above.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/SoffetFaciaPorchCeiling.jpg - shows
the soffett
    and facia, bottom of the beam is the flat bottom and I've pried up the
front covering.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/SoffetBearWrap.jpg - prying the
soffett covering
    away from the "L" that covers the bottom of the beam.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/Facia.jpg - shows the soffett pryed
away from
    the lower "L" covering the bottom of the beam.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/PorchSiding.jpg - shows the ceiling
of the
    porch, the top of 1 column the covering over the bottom of the beam,
and some of
    the facia.

http://members.cox.net/jblair1948/Porch/PorchSidingBottomMolding.jpg - A
close up of
    the seam on the inside of the porch siding.  Can't figure out how to
remove it.
    Don't even know if I have to.

I need to move 1 column about 2" to one side.  So I just can't chop off the
old column
flush with the siding, and since the column actually sits up inside the
channel above,
I need to get access to where the top of the column is attached to the beam
or what
ever it's called.

I've tried to lift the brown corrigated (soffett) up, but it won't budge.  So
I'm trying to pull the nails and pry the covering off the fasic or front of
the
beam.  When the contractor boxed this, he nailed an "L" piece to the back
side.
Then made another "L" to cover the bottom and part way up the front of the
facia.
Finally there is another "L" that covers the facia, and holds the "L" that
covers
the bottom where the channel or pocket.

I can't get the piece off the vertical as it goes up under the soffett and
I can't
figure out how to remove the soffett, or if I have to.  I'm trying to be
careful so
I don't distroy the aluminum covering, but I can't actually get it off, so
I'm prying
it out of the way.

Is this the way to go?  Is there a better way?  Any short cuts?  Or am I on
the right
track, it just takes time and patience?

TIA

John