Re: [Shop-talk] Home inspectors

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Home inspectors
From: "Mike Frerichs" <shoptalk@centipi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:17:52 -0600
Everything Moose said is good.  To that I'll add:

I suggest looking for an ASHI Certified inspector (American Society of Home
Inspectors).  There's a reason that their certification is the hardest to
get of all the national certifications.

When you find someone who claims to be ASHI Certified, lookup his or her
name and company name on the ASHI web site to make sure they actually are
certified and in good standing.  (www.ashi.org)

FYI: A CERTIFIED ASHI inspector has done at least 250 paid inspections,
passed the National Home Inspector Test and the ASHI Code of Ethics test,
and has to take at least 20 hours of continuing education each year to
maintain certification.  An ASHI ASSOCIATE has done less than 250
inspections, and may or may not have passed either of the tests.

Ask the potential inspector how long his or her inspections take on average.
An inspection on even a small house should take at least three to four
hours.  When you get down to it, there is a LOT of stuff to look at.

Ask if they carry both E&O and general liability insurance (the good ones
do).  Make them prove it.

Ask them if they can also fix anything they find wrong.  They'd better say
"No"!  You don't want someone finding things "wrong" in hopes of getting
paid to fix them.  This is a conflict of interest that will get you booted
out of ASHI in a big hurry.

2 cents from an insider.

Mike Frerichs
ASHI Associate working hard to become Certified.