Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lug Bolts?
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:19:24 -0500
On Dec 19, 2007, at 23:08 , David Hillman wrote:
>     But, the choices are pretty slim apart from these two cars...
> so can
> anyone give me some good reason why I shouldn't think lug bolts are
> one of
> the greatest mistakes in automotive engineering history?  What is
> their
> purpose, other than to take a perfectly good design and ruin it
> completely?  Are they the result of a bunch of German engineers
> getting
> way too drunk on dark beer at a Christmas party, and betting each
> other to
> see who could come up with the worst idea?

SAABs have them too -- at least my 89 900 did.  The SAAB includes a
little hanger, not as a separate tool, but as a permanently attached
little peg between two of the bolt holes, and the wheels are machined
with a matching little hole to hang the wheel on.  The wheels are
also hubcentric, so once they are hung and pushed over the hub, the
basically stay put while you put the bolts in.

As for motivation, I note that the threads on bolts are protected
from the elements, and the exposed threads on studs are not, wheel
covers and hubcaps notwithstanding.
--
Matt Liggett