Re: [Shop-talk] recovering kitchen counter

To: <chad@LinuxEG.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] recovering kitchen counter
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:11:18 -0500
Definitely cut from the underside if using the circular saw. Clamp a
guide to make a straight cut.

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_3d_index.asp?page_id=35743498

If those shorter sections are at right angles to and attach to the
longer piece, a 45 degree cut is needed if you are installing a 'post
formed' counter top (rolled front edge and one-piece back splash).
Have the retailer make the 45 degree cuts and rout for inset clamp
plates. One type is shown here:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=349&filter=tite%20joint

Do you have a means to make reasonably straight cuts in plywood (table
saw)? Why not make new substrate? (I usually use 3/4" luan instead of
particleboard). All joints can be butt joints with reinforcing backing
glued under the joints. Add 2-3" wide pieces along the front & back
underside edges to make the top 1 1/2" thick. Add a 3/4" solid wood
edge along the front if desired to dress it up.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell