[Shop-talk] Mixing Valves

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mixing Valves
From: "Justin Bedard" <juice@lerch.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:16:01 -0500
Can anyone recommend a good mixing valve for my hot water system?

I have a Crown Boiler (Cayman 3, CWI103 -
http://www.crownboiler.com/products/res_gas/cayman_prn.asp)  that provides
my heat and hot water.  Installed is a Honeywell mixing valve (AM-1 Series
1/2" NPT - http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/AM100-1that
might be it.  It's ASSE 1016T & 1017 but there are no other markings).

The water is only hot for the first minute or so and then it's just warm or
luke-warm.  That's with the mixing valve set to 4.  That should be good for
140 degrees and even if it's a "C" model that should be 120 degrees.  The
minimum water temperature on the boiler is set to 170 degrees and the
boiler's thermometer confirms it.  I don't know the cold water temperature
orthe mixed water temperature.  I might pick up some thermal temperature
indicator strips.

Honeywell's site says it's good for 80 gal. water tanks.  My boiler is only
10 gal. and flows at 2.5 gal/min (according to the site).

Maybe I need to restrict the flow rate.  I also make sure I turn down the
house's thermostat so that the heater doesn't kick on.  The hot water supply
is a lot better in the summer.

Thanks,
Justin