Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:03:37 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Vin Marshall wrote:
> Or just don't run horribly insecure operating systems and applications
> and don't communicate sensitive data via the network in plain text.
> I've only read about half of this thread, so forgive me if someone's
> already mentioned this, but I fail to see the salient difference between
> running an open network at home is from being on free wifi at a coffee
> shop or the like.  Am I missing something?

I think you might be missing something...

The "danger" is that in addition to someone gaining access to your
machine, someone getting onto your network at home is very likely using it
to get out to the internet via your connection to an ISP.  So if they're
sending spam, uploading child porn, sending terrorist threats, or whatever
you possibly are responsible for their actions.

This isn't a problem if you aren't the one providing the network.

I don't know that its been tested in court yet however.  AFAIK, there's
no standard "good enough" protection that absolves you of
responsibility... A reasonable person might conclude that wide open
wireless in a rural setting is good enough.  They might conclude its not.

For me... The hassles of securing stuff outweigh the benefits at my rural
location.  I might eventually change my mind, but I'm pretty stubborn.

:-)

Mark