[Shop-talk] Hydraulic Oil

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Hydraulic Oil
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:20:30 -0500
My lift is coming next week and I'm trying to get everything I need
together.  Under the list of things that I need is "3 gallons of
hydraulic oil."  Below it says:  "Recommended Oil: ISO 32 Light
Hydraulic Oil"

Later in the manual it says that Dexron III Transmission Fluid can also be used.

My local Tractor Supply seems to carry ISO 46 and ISO 68 as well as
something called "Hydraulic 5 gal Universal Oil" that they claim can
be used in the gearbox, diff, wet brakes, and hydraulic system of
tractors.

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulic systems.  My gut tells
me that I could put just about any incompressible fluid in this thing
and it should work.  It's a really slow moving operation.  Should I
not worry about this and just buy the ISO 46 or the "Universal" oil or
should I launch a search for ISO 32?

-Paul