Re: [Shop-talk] Really hot water

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Really hot water
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:18:01 -0400
On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> Do the elements ever stick on,
>
> Impossible; they don't get power when the thermostat is open.
>
>> or is it likely to be
>> that the thermostat has died?
>
> Seems likely to me.
>
>>  (and is there a way to test it?)
>
> I'm guessing that, if you get it off, you'll want to replace it anyway.  But
> if not, you should be able to do the old "pan of water on the stove" thing.
> If your wife doesn't have a "candy" thermometer, you can pick one up at the
> grocery store fairly cheaply.

So the water continued to get really, really hot, even with both
'stats set at their minimum setting.  The water temperature at the
kitchen faucet reached 190F, and the temp limiting switch do-hickey
tripped.  I shut the supply off, drained the system, and have the
stats at their lowest temperature.  The water is hotter than it ought
to be, and the lower element is still on.  I'm going to go see if the
local hardware has replacement 'stats.  If not, I'll have to wait
until monday.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com