[Shop-talk] Roller bearing race modification

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Roller bearing race modification
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:00:48 -0500
I'm converting the front wheel bearings on my wife's Midget from precision
thrust ball bearings to roller bearings.  Unfortunately, although Timken has a
listing specifically for the conversion, now that I've driven the outer races
into the first hub (so returning at least one set and just putting ball
bearings back in is not an option), I find that the inner race on the inner
bearing has too small a radius for the axle.  Of course I won't cut the radius
on the axle smaller (asking for a crack).  I can't insert a spacer to make up
the space (just under .040") between the back of the race and the face it's
supposed to butt up against, as there wouldn't be enough axle length if I
did.

Seems straightforward (if slow) to grind the radius larger on the inside of
the inner bearing race, so the beearing can slip all the way up to the
shoulder on the axle.  I don't think there's any chance of removing enough
metal to make a strength difference - the bearing is plenty large there.  As
long as I keep it cool and can get it clean again, is there any reason not to
grind the inside radius larger on the ID of the inner bearing ?

Thanks!
Karl

"Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire."  (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)