Re: [Shop-talk] fuel tank leak

To: "Dan and Jenny Fest \(Coles Nurseries Inc\)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] fuel tank leak
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
<coles@colesnurseries.com> wrote:

> I am rinsing my antique fuel tank with MEK to clean
> it out and prepare it for
> sealing.  Two questions: First, the tank has a leak
> in one of the seams about
> 2/3 of the way up.  It's not too bad but still needs
> to be fixed.  I can't get
> to the spot on the inside.  Is there a putty or
> caulk that I can use on the
> outside.

Isn't that the sort of thing that the sealing is
supposed to fix?

> Secondly, it's  a 12 gal tank and I have
> 10 gal of MEK.  Can I
> swoosh it around or do I need to get 2 gal more to
> do a decent job ?

Yikes!  How are you going to get rid of 10 gallons of
slightly used MEK?  And how are you going to swoosh
something that weighs close to 100 pounds?  And how
much did all that solvent cost?

I would swish it with a couple of quarts, and do it
maybe 4 times, each with fresh solvent.

Doug