Re: [Shop-talk] Welders, part 2

To: "'Shop-Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welders, part 2
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Bill Gingerich wrote:
> The majority of replies so far say infinite variable voltage is a good
> thing to have.  Given that, I've been looking at what Lincoln, Miller,
> and Hobart offer.  Hobart doesn't seem to like infinite voltage, at
> least in my price range, so I eliminating them from the mix.  So, which
> do people like better - Miller or Lincoln?  Does it really matter?
> Prices seem about the same. Miller has their "autoset" feature - set the
> wire size and material thickness and do your thing.  Sounds handy for a
> beginner like me.

Since everyone has come out in favor of continuously adjustable voltage, I
guess I'll dissent at least a little bit... My welder (Lincoln SP-175plus)
has it too, but I find I pretty much almost never play with the voltage...
I get it in the range, then use wire speed to get a nice sounding arc.
Sure, you need to adjust your welding motion depending on what the puddle
is doing, but that's pretty much true no matter what you do in my
experience.

> Are there other manufacturers that I need to give consideration too?

Thought I've never used one, HTP has a pretty good name.  They seem more
in the land of "higher end welder for middle end price" though, so I dunno
what they have in the suitcase MIG range.

If it were me, I'd buy either a Miller or a Hobart I think, but the real
test is to go to your local gas/welding supplier and see what they carry.
Buy one of those, then you can get that tip or whatever the next day when
you need it.

Mark