Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic zoning for forced-air systems

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic zoning for forced-air systems
From: "John Innis" <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:37:24 -0500
We have an automatic zoning system on our forced air heating and
cooling system.  It works very well and has dambers in both round and
rectangular ducts.  The system is a Honeywell one and was installed by
a local HVAC company.  We have four zones, each with independent
programmable thermostats.  The system is even smart enough that it
will switch between heating and cooling if one zone want hot and
another wants cold.  Coupled with a variable speed blower and a high
efficiency furnace, this system can reduce your energy consumption,
but probably not enought to pay for itself.  It's real benefit is
comfort.  Out old house was always hot upstairs in the summer and cold
downstairs in the winter.  And that was just a split level.  Our new
house is a two story with a full basement, and all three levels are
always comfortable.