Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer Hitch for 2009 Toyota Corolla

To: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>, Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer Hitch for 2009 Toyota Corolla
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
About 8 years ago I got a hitch for my '98 Subaru
Outback from JC Whitney.  It turned out to be from
Hidden Hitch, and I have been perfectly satisfied with
it.

Probably the relative quality of different brands of
hitches will vary from vehicle to vehicle, depending
on how well they did the engineering for each vehicle.
 If the manufacturer sells a dealer-installed hitch,
then presumably it was well-designed to fit the car,
and the car was designed to take it.  So I would
expect all aftermarket hitches to be copies of the OEM
one.
but if a car was not designed to take a hitch, the
aftermarket people might have done a good to awful job
of designing a hitch for it.

Has anybody ever seen European car hitches?  They are
pretty common there, because people are less likely to
have a big SUV for hauling stuff.  They always seem to
be of a style that is never used here:  There is a
single curved, tapered, forged arm that curves up and
back from under the rear bumper, and it has the ball
integral with it.

Doug