Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 08:39:10 -0700
I have a Hobart Handler 140, and would buy another.  The only point of
contention on this unit, which shares components with Miller, is that the
amperage rheostat is stepped.  While I have never found this to be a
detractor, lots of folks prefer a true rheostat control found on the Lincoln
and Miller(?) units.  I have found that I automatically adjust the wire gap
to keep the nice sizzling sound and the steps provided for amperage are
fine.  Other than this difference, you can't go wrong with any of the big
three; Miller, Hobart and Lincoln.  Buy on features and price.

I purchased a 120v unit for convenience.  It will do anything I have thrown
at it so far, but occasionally, I've preheated big parts with a MAPP torch
first and made multiple passes to finish a weld.  I have not yet tried
aluminum.

I bought mine from Central Welding supply (of WA) mail order while living in
NJ.  I've since moved to WA.  Not having bought my welder from the local
shops I have dealt with has never been a detractor.  They have all been
great with regard to helping me out with supplies; wire, gas, etc.   I
figure buying the welder locally could help, but depending on price, it's a
trade off to consider.

Jack