Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:26:54 -0500
Karl, Karl, Karl.... boy you bring back some good memories... the only job I
ever had and enjoyed was a mainframe computer operator... Started in the
'tab' section sorting cards in 1966.. later moved up to computer operator
assistant (tape jockey) on a 1401 and graduated to a IBM-360...7 tape drives
and get this... ready ??  32k of memory... we ran a steel mill with it.  had
a keypunch section with 50 women punching cards. on three shifts.  Our
payroll was punched on about 30,000 cards every two weeks.  One job at a
time was the limit with all tape, no hard disk.  Last system (1986) was two
Burroughs 4900s  dual processors and about 1 gig of hard drive space that
took up a room 25 x 50 and took 6 tons of a/c to keep the units cool... disk
were about 3' in diameter and spun up about 3600 rpm... we still had a tape
library of about 5000 reels of backup of current files.  Moved up to about
18 tape drives and could multiprocess... gawd I loved that machine.  I was
the only operator out of 15 that had ever maxxed out the mix...processors
running at 100% capacity... had both processors totally loaded... usually
took about 15 jobs at once to do that.  The Burroughs main frame techies
said it couldn't be done...   My one claim to fame...

AFA the calculators... my dad was a surveyor and we did all calculations
(with trig tables) with a pencil...  in the early 70's we bought a 4
function Craig handheld for 125.00.  It cut our calc time by two thirds...
and did it right !!!..   My watch can do what it did and more...

but I miss those old mainframe days...

reminissingly..

John