Re: [Shop-talk] air over hydraulic bottle jacks

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air over hydraulic bottle jacks
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:12:53 -0400
Randall,

I don't think it works like that.  I have an air over hydraulic floor
jack, and when I was shopping for it, I was thinking the way you
are.  But the way it works is that there is a sort of a pump that is
run by air, but it pumps hydraulic fluid.  It basically provides two
ways to pump the hydraulic fluid, the manual handle and the air motor
driven hydraulic pump.  One effect of this is that in use, it makes
an air tool sort of noise.  Not the sort of silent glide you would
get if the air was directly raising the jack.  Now, I'm not familiar
with the particular Harbor Freight jack mentioned here.  If you go to
the page linked earlier, and look at the manual, you can see the
parts diagram.  I get the impression that it does work the same way
my floor jack does.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net